About Me

My photo
Thrukon is a 2500 mile sub-arctic glacial survey on two motorcycles through sections of British Columbia, Yukon Territory and Alaska. The survey team hopes to observe and document important glaciers along the route north, while attempting to capture the spirit of exploration. The general approach for the trip will be part travel documentary and part research survey, which will involve riding motorcycles equipped with the necessary gear for field research, camping and video/photo documentation; as well as limited spares for any unforeseen events. This blog is the repository for all of the information gathered in preparation for and during the journey.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Gone Fishing

During the spring I try and take a little time off for holiday. 2013 is no exception as I am in the South of France checking out the beaches and sampling some of the cuisine.

The timing of my trip works out nicely since both the Monaco Grand Prix and Cannes Film Festival take place at about the same time, and are only a few short stops apart on the train. I haven't made it to Cannes yet, as I've spent the last couple of days in Monte Carlo chronicling the GP setup.

 Monaco Grand Prix form the hills showing Piscine (swiming pool), Rascasse, pit lane, and the starting grid


Red Bull barge

Williams Racing set up
 
Ferrari approaching Rascasse

The 84 year history, paired with the "glitz & glamour" location of this GP attracts the top tier of motor-culture. As you walk through the echoing streets of Monte Carlo, the city thunders with every super car ever produced (and even some that weren't), but my eye constantly drifts toward the motorcycles that I'm surprised to find. Like this 1200GS, that I wish I had ridden around the circuit and then parked out in front of La Rascasse, instead of taking the train in from Villefranche. I believe the appropriate french expression for this situation would be c'est la vie...

BMW 1200GS parked outside La Rascasse bar on the Monaco GP circuit

Or this HP Super Moto, which I had never seen in person before, but is helping to increase my understanding of the supermoto class.

 BMW HP Super Moto parked near the pit lane of the Monaco GP

No comments:

Post a Comment